Sunday, January 16, 2011

This.....and That (From A Long Time Ago)

I went through my pictures on my camera and finally uploaded some long overdue shots. I'm pretty sure that they date back to Thanksgiving and before Christmas break. So will start at the beginning... Thanksgiving. My whole family got together for Thanksgiving this year, sometimes it seems like a big puzzle getting everyone together. Some years it's only two families, sometimes one and then if it's a good year we all get to spend the holiday together. The parents all decided that we needed to take every type of group shot possible. We did cousins only, grandchildren & grandparents, parents and kids, each family and grandparents....this list goes on and on. So here are some shots of our family photo shoot.
 I was very very excited about decorating for Christmas this year, it took everything I had not to starting putting up Christmas decor before Thanksgiving. I would have thrown the kids for a loop if the Christmas tree was up before Turkey day! As soon as we returned from break I was ready and in the Christmas spirit, I played Christmas music all the time and the kids were loving it! Tiffany (my other half at work) and I were geared up and decided that our hallway needed to be just as festive. She did an amazing job constructing this fireplace and with the help of my friend Corbin we had some sweet flames to go with it! The stockings added a lot to the fireplace and I think the Kindergarten hallway looked stinkin cute! I'm kind of partial though! :) At the beginning of the year I decided to make a Giving Tree outside my classroom. The leaves on the tree have different materials we would love to have, that parents can donate. I was quite bummed that our school didn't have a snowflake dye-cut...my original idea was to change out the items on the tree by season. I think I'm going to change the leaves to green once spring time comes.
This past week in Kindergarten we have been talking about maps and towns. We started this unit by reading, Me on the Map. This is a great book that starts off in a kids bedroom and then they draw a map of their bedroom. Then it moves onto their house, house and street, street and town....till it gets to a picture of the world. It's hard for the little critters to comprehend the whole looking at a map....when we looked at a map of the world a boy in my class thought all we needed to do was zip-line to Indonesia from Kansas. I had to turn my head because I found it quite funny. So needless to say starting small is definitely necessary in Kindergarten. Once we looked at our town on googlemap and talked about what types of resources go into a community we decided to make our own town. I sent notes home and asked for any and all boxes, milk jugs....really anything that we could make into a building. This past Friday was construction day in my room. We brainstormed the types of stores and buildings we needed and constructed a map of the town. Each student was assigned a specific building and was able to pick the size of box they needed and decorated it. These are some pictures of the construction process, we  all had a really good time doing this activity. The kids were super excited to work on a building and design it themselves, I really think this allowed them to feel like they had some ownership to the project. We are going to continue adding to the town on Tuesday when we return to school.
 That was a lot for one post....but I am now up to speed!!


 

No comments: