Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 8.....and a little Camp Barnabas

Day 8....I know I skipped a couple days. I promise I know how to count! Today's task was an easy one for me, I have so many pictures that make me laugh it's hard to choose. I'm not one for taking a bunch of nice, sweet pictures when I'm on vacation or just in general. I think the best photographs are the candid/ funny ones! So here is goes, you know me I can't just choose one.....
This is one of my best friends Carrie from it seems like ages ago...We had an I Love the 80's night at youth group (Holla). I think we achieved the look!
Oh Hannah, this is one of my roommates from college. We had just gotten home from the midnight showing of Harry Potter.     (As you can see we were a little amped from the movie and used her conducting stick as a wand.)
I studied abroad in Italy one summer....this is me and some of my School of Ed. girls trying to make a museum outing a little more fun. 
Camp Barnabas (more on this below) This is Kent one of the campers in my cabin a couple years ago. I turned around to find Kent wearing a King of Hearts costume and him also holding the Queen's outfit. He then asked me if I would be his Queen....never heard that one before. haha
Another one of my all time besties and roommate from college Lynsay. Photobooth is a great way to procrastinate from studying. Enough Said.


These are just a few of many pictures that make me laugh and warm my heart. I have some amazing friends that love to laugh as much as I do!


Onto another topic that has been on my heart lately...Camp Barnabas! Check out the video before you continue reading.  I know it's kind of long but it shows exactly what camps about. If you cry easily you may or may not want to have tissues on hand. It's good stuff though I promise!



I've posted before about this wonderful place, but it has more recently been on my mind and heart. I've been going to camp for a number of years now and worked on staff last summer. It was exactly where I needed to be last summer and was crossing my fingers that I could swing it again. But, I've been praying over my decision for a couple months now and decided that with work (school) it's just not the place God wants me to be this summer. I am faithful in the Lord and in the choices I've made, it was still a hard decision! My sister is going to be working all summer at camp and it's going to be strange not sharing that experience again with her this summer.

My words don't do this place justice (why I posted the videos), the amount of joy my heart feels for this place is abundant. It's inspiring working with a group of people all working towards the same goal, making the week AWESOME for the campers! I love what this place does for the campers that come...they get to experience a week where a disability doesn't define them. They get to be a kid like everyone else! It's a beautiful thing watching someone be themselves and have no worries. That is what Camp brings to these wonderful individuals. 


As a youth leader I was able to look at camp from a different perspective. I brought our youth group and watched their lives transform in a week. It was a hard and tiring week both physically and emotionally. It's hard selling camp to teenagers at first....but this is the end result once they take that step of faith! (This is a video of our group that I made for Camp Sunday at church. We shared this video with our congregation and some of the teenagers gave testimonies.)


"For the Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save you. He takes great delight in you and quiets you with his love. And he will rejoice over you in song. 
Zephaniah 3:17
This is one of my all time favorite songs that is sung at camp...


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love everything about this post :) I love that you are a youth leader! How wonderful for you dear! Your pictures seriously made me laugh too! have a wonderful Wednesday!

Carrie said...

I don't know how I missed this post but so hilarious to see that first pic pop up! I love the 80's!!

Melissa Hersh said...

I love that video of Phil Kwon. Fav song