Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Break with a Little Kung Fu on the Side

Spring Break!! The past 9 days have been OH so glorious! My original plan was to crack down and get lots of work done over break. We have Kindergarten Round-Up next week and lots of new things starting down in Kindergarten. So surely I could get a bunch accomplished with 9 days free of my little critters. Well that was all good in the theory right.....I had the best of intentions really, but I made the decision I "needed" a new toy. In comes my NEW NOOK! I LOVE LOVE it! I was glued to the thing for a good portion of my break, finished a book and started a new one! My thought is I will get tons of use out of it this summer laying by the pool! (The thought of summer vacation gets me all warm and fuzzy inside!)

The majority of my week off was spent in my pajamas watching BRAVO....I turned into a huge Bravo junky over break! They had a RHW of New York marathon on and I may or may not have DVR'd almost the entire season. (That's what breaks are for right??)
I did go shopping in KC one day with my friend Molly and it was a complete bust. I mean honestly how is it possible that one can go to not 1 but 2 malls and not find a single item to purchase!!! I was ready to drop some $ if yeah know what I mean, I was in the market for fun new spring & summer dresses/clothes. We were both a little more than irritated with the situation and finally went to Kansas Sampler (something we have at home...which is also irritating) and bought some new KU gear. (Don't even get me started on the heart break I felt when the Hawks lost...it was a sad day!) So after a big BUST is KC we stopped through in lawrence I treated myself to a new pair of TOMS.
Molly and I attempted to make PIMP CUPS for all the girls....I mean they turned out cute from a distance. Read Molly's post about our great experience making these suckers. I wanted to scream multiple times as the bling slid down the side of the cup. (I did NOT have much patience at this point, haha) I'm ready to have another go at it though, summer is around the corner and I think us girls need some fancy cups as we sit pool side and for BBQ's!


Today at school we had a Pep Assembly to get our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders pumped for the State Assessments. I pitched the idea of having a pep assembly to my principal thinking she would probably say No....but she thought it was a great idea and told me a should head it up. haha I was more than happy and excited to plan it and head up the event! We haven't had a "FUN" assembly this year and I thought it would be a great way to kinda be silly and have some fun before all the serious tests start for the older kids. When I student taught last year my cousin was the Instructional Coach at the school I was at and headed up the schools Pep Assembly that was Kung Fu Panda themed (it was great!!). I emailed her and asked if she still had any of her stuff from last year, because I thought it was such a cute idea and she emailed me everything. So I didn't have the whole design aspect to worry about, I just needed the rest of the staff on board with the idea...haha Here are some pictures of today's event....I apologize for the dark pictures, the gym and my camera did not get along today.  
My two besties at work....Kick'n it Panda Style!!
That lovely crane in front would be my principal...she was great!
The whole Cast....They did such a great job and were great sports! The kids LOVED IT!
Here's me leading everyone in all the chants and cheers!
Praying Mantis....We had an awesome Mom from our school make all of the costumes! Everyone looked great!
Each character from the movie had a test-taking strategy to teach the kids....so each time a new animal came out we learned a new chant to go along with that test-taking strategy. The kids had a blast and I think the staff all had a great time with it and definitely got into character! I am so thankful to work with such great people! It was a fun 1st day back from break!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

The Nook looks so cool! I have a Kindle, so I probably don't need a Nook. :) I'm so jealous you have a pair of TOMS. They are on my wish list!

Molly said...

I'm kicking myself for being in a pissy mood and not buying some grey TOMS, what the H was my problem? SHEESH! Another trip to Sharks this weekend or next? KTHANKS!

Great job on the pep assembly girl, I knew you'd rock it! What a wonderful teacher you are!

xoxo